Before submitting a proposal, please be sure that we are the appropriate publisher for your work, and follow the guidelines given below.
What to Include in Your Proposal
- An abstract or a description of your manuscript (1-2 pages)
- Length of the manuscript in words, including notes and bibliography
- Number and type (color, b/w, maps, tables, etc.) of illustrations, if any
- Date by which the manuscript will be complete
- Table of contents
- Introduction or sample chapter
- Description of the intended audience/market
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- If your manuscript is a revision of your dissertation, provide a description of how heavily the manuscript is revised. If the dissertation is available online through Open Access, indicate whether you have the option to place a permanent or long-term embargo on its dissemination. Please note that Penn State University Press does not accept unrevised dissertations.
Editors prefer to receive proposals electronically but request that you first please send a brief e-mail query to the appropriate editor before sending the full proposal.
If your work is a good fit for our list, editors will request a full manuscript only after reviewing a proposal.
, Executive Editor
Areas: art and architectural history, visual culture, history of photography, medieval and early modern studies, occultism and esoterism, Iberian and Latin American history and culture.
Buildings, Landscapes, and Societies
Iberian Encounter and Exchange, 475-1755
ICMA Books | Viewpoints
Interactions in the Early Modern Age
Latin American Originals
Magic in History
Magic in History Sourcebooks
, Acquisitions Editor
Areas: rhetoric and communication studies, sensory history, Africana studies.
Penn State Series in Critical Theory
Perspectives on Sensory History
Rhetoric and Democratic Deliberation
RSA Series in Transdisciplinary Rhetoric
If you prefer to submit your proposal via the U.S. Postal Service or other mail carrier, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope and send to:
Penn State University Press
820 North University Drive
University Support Building 1, Suite C
University Park, PA 16802-1003